From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java installation handling not acceptable
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:32:32
1 The transition period will end eventually. But you're right that the
2 new-style Java installation requires manual intervention Right Now (TM).
3 This is expected with many other packages that are in testing as well.
4 Problem is, Java is a requirement for many people and the (minor, IMHO)
5 hurdles just makes them unnecessarily angry. If one has to use testing
6 versions of packages, one also has to learn how to deal with them
7 correctly:
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3
9
10 For the time being, one could write a script that could install testing
11 (~arch) Java on a stable profile - adding proper atoms to package.unmask
12 and package.keywords, checking the sanity, etc. But this work would
13 be outdated too some time in the future. It's just a matter of time when
14 these Java packages (and there are about 400 of them in portage!) will
15 become stabilized. The more time developers spend on this goal the
16 faster it becomes reality. And they don't get paid for it, remember.
17
18 Also, you don't expect to be able to use new-style Java (JRE, JDK)
19 only to find that some ebuilds you NEED for your work do not compile,
20 because they haven't been upgraded, right? I bet you'd pi***d off even
21 more in such situation. So, either the new Java goes in complete or it
22 stays in ~arch until ready. That's my understanding of this matter.
23
24 Another possibility is just to go full ~x86 for example (which is not such
25 a big deal, BTW). One of my systems (the one I'm writing this on) is on a
26 testing profile, and believe me, the new-style Java is GREAT here :) :) :)
27
28 There are problems, there are also solutions for them.
29 You have to decide for yourself what will you do with it.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Wiktor
33 --