From: Daniel <damage@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Java installation handling not acceptable
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:18:16
1 Hi,
2 the installation of Java on Gentoo is the hell on earth!
3
4 - the installation is non transparent
5 - the java-"help"-utils (java-config, java-config-wrapper) are not acceptable,
6 because you don't really need them
7 - the whole solution of installing more than one jdk is bumptious - so not
8 easy
9 handable
10
11 This meens that it takes long time to install java and that you need to do
12 some
13 terrible thinks (e.g. unmasking some packages ... see
14 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml).
15
16 This is not the way gentoo should go because this is to heavy for the user
17 (that mostly just wants to install a jdk :) )!
18
19 So I have collected some points _we_ should think about:
20 - why is jdk-1.5 still under development?
21 - is it really necessary to install an jdk-1.4 and jdk-1.5? - if yes, why you
22 don't need to install jdk-1.3?
23 - gentoo should never make a difference between jdk 1.4 and 1.5
24 - java-config should just generate some environment files to set a special vm
25 - if an ebuild requires a special vm (why ever, because the api of the jdk is
26 compatible in most points) it should gnerate a warning, that the vm should be
27 set to 1.x
28 - it is the problem of the user if there are two java applications which need
29 different vms (this problem is much easier to solve than installing java ;)).
30
31 I hope you will not understand this bug as an act of aggression - it should
32 just help Gentoo.
33
34 regards
35 Daniel aka Damage