From: Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java installation handling not acceptable
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:36:15
1 Daniel wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > the installation of Java on Gentoo is the hell on earth!
4
5 It's a lot easier than it used to be.
6
7 > - the installation is non transparent
8
9 Could you elaborate on that one?
10
11 > - the java-"help"-utils (java-config, java-config-wrapper) are not acceptable,
12 > because you don't really need them
13
14 Just learn how to use them - that's all.
15
16 > - the whole solution of installing more than one jdk is bumptious - so not
17 > easy
18 > handable
19
20 It is.
21
22 > This meens that it takes long time to install java and that you need to do
23 > some
24 > terrible thinks (e.g. unmasking some packages ... see
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml).
26
27 The whole generation 2 is not considered stable, thus you have to unmask
28 some packages to get it - it's still in ~arch
29
30 > This is not the way gentoo should go because this is to heavy for the user
31 > (that mostly just wants to install a jdk :) )!
32
33 So do it.
34
35 > So I have collected some points _we_ should think about:
36 > - why is jdk-1.5 still under development?
37
38 Code built with 1.5 is not backwards compatible (JRE 1.4 can't run it).
39
40 > - is it really necessary to install an jdk-1.4 and jdk-1.5? - if yes, why you
41 > don't need to install jdk-1.3?
42
43 Yes - there's currently no code that compiles with 1.3 and doesn't with 1.4.
44
45 > - gentoo should never make a difference between jdk 1.4 and 1.5
46
47 It should.
48
49 > - java-config should just generate some environment files to set a special vm
50
51 NO! It was in generation 1 and that was hell, new stuff is a lot easier.
52
53 > - if an ebuild requires a special vm (why ever, because the api of the jdk is
54 > compatible in most points) it should gnerate a warning, that the vm should be
55 > set to 1.x
56
57 No, that would break the 'non-interactive' principle of portage.
58
59 > - it is the problem of the user if there are two java applications which need
60 > different vms (this problem is much easier to solve than installing java ;)).
61
62 Nope.
63
64 > I hope you will not understand this bug as an act of aggression - it should
65 > just help Gentoo.
66
67 A lot of FUD and misunderstanding, nothing more (yet).
70 Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xBC555551
71 desktop-misc, desktop-dock, desktop-wm, x86, java, apache...