From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] New genpatches numbering scheme
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:37:32
1 With linux-stable becoming more popular we are reaching the limit of the
2 current numbering scheme, which is currently hacked to allow 100 patches
3 from that tree.
4
5 The obvious solution is to stop requiring a unique 4 digit number for
6 each patch, but I have grown to like that system, and it allows for some
7 easy-to-use scripts.
8
9 I also feel restricted by the current scheme, pasted below for reference.
10
11 1XXX critical fixes
12 1XX security
13 3XX arch-compat
14 9XX other
15 2XXX driver related patches
16 1XX network
17 3XX raid/storage
18 5XX graphics/sound
19 7XX motherboard
20 9XX other
21 3XXX performance patches
22 1XX cpu-task schedular & related
23 3XX disk/memory/swap I/O and management
24 5XX graphics/sound
25 9XX other
26 4XXX additional features.
27 1XX network
28 3XX raid/storage
29 5XX graphics/sound
30 7XX filesystem
31 9XX other
32 5XXX experimental patches
33 1XX network
34 3XX raid/storage
35 5XX graphics/sound
36 7XX filesystem
37 9XX other
38
39 I dislike having to file fixes for networking core and netfilter in the
40 same 'category' as fixes for network drivers. Similar situation for
41 storage. I also dislike the motherboard category which is very broad by
42 nature, generally swallowing patches for USB, PCI, ACPI, ...
43
44 At the same time, I don't want to get too specific: for example, there's
45 not much point differentiating between ALSA and OSS drivers, framebuffer
46 video drivers and DRI video drivers, etc.
47
48 There's also no point in the 3XXX and 5XXX ranges with our current
49 policy - we'd never put things under those categories.
50
51 Here's my new proposal. Any comments? I hope to put something similar to
52 the following into action for the first 2.6.16 release.
53
54 FIXES
55 =====
56 1000-1400 linux-stable
57 1400-1500 linux-stable queue
58 1500-1600 architecture-related
59 1600-1700 security
60 1700-1800 mm/scheduling/misc
61 1800-1900 filesystems
62 1900-2000 networking core
63 2000-2100 storage core
64 2100-2000 power management (acpi, apm)
65 2200-2300 bus (usb, ieee1394, pci, pcmcia, ...)
66 2300-2400 network drivers
67 2400-2500 storage drivers
68 2500-2600 input
69 2600-2800 media (graphics, sound, tv)
70 2800-2900 other
71 2900-4000 reserved
72
73 FEATURES