From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Kernel patching solution.
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:54:48
1 В Чтв, 27/12/2007 в 21:05 +0000, Daniel Drake пишет:
2 > As for other options: You could just install the patch to the filesystem
3 > and require the user to apply it. Other packages do/did this, e.g. hdaps
4
5 Ok. Let's me suggest another way. I'd like to standardize (eclass) the
6 place such ebuilds install patches. Together with place, I'd like to add
7 information (may be in patch name or inside patch itself) what kernels
8 this patch supports. Is this the way to go?
9
10 After this I'm sure there will be no problem to have external tool to
11 simplify patching. If you do not like it - do not use it.
12
13 > But the only real solution is this: get the patch merged upstream, or
14 > equivalent functionality offered in the mainline kernel. Everything else
15 > is working against the flow of the kernel.
16
17 Eh. I see your intentions. But IMQ will never get upstream while me and
18 many other people are using it and AFAIK currently there is not
19 substitution for it (IFB is different). patch-o-matic patches are really
20 slow in moving to official tree, while I have to use it's functionality.
21 There will be always such patches.
24 Peter.