From: Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o, gentoo-users@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo + T40?
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:55:30
Sorry for the cross post, I originally posted this message to the wrong
list.  It won't happen again I promise ;-)

I've solved the heating problems at last.  I removed the IBM ACPI
support from the kernel and installed the version from portage, swapped
speedfreq with cpufreqd, loaded the modules and now everything seems to
be running nicely.

I'm still hitting 70-71 degrees when compiling, which is still a concern
- but to aid my paranoia, I've written a couple of scripts that enable
me to cut down the CPU speed to 1/3 or 2/3 of full power, which keeps me
at a more comfortable 45-50 or 55-60 degrees whilst compiling.

Thanks for your help Jordi, Andrew, Eugene and 'AR' :)

Cliff the happy Gentoo user