From: jake@×××××××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:17:23
Quoting Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>:

> If you can spare some space than I think the best way to do this would > be to install Gentoo from your existing Fedora install as Josh > suggested. Than use lshw, lspci and lsusb to manually configure your > own kernel to your hardware requirements without having to worry about > auto detection. > > An interesting point though, when install gentoo on my friends > notebook we had a similar problem of the install CD hanging and not > getting passed a point (during hardware detection) not matter how long > we left it. Luckily I had the 2004.1, 2004.3 and 2005.0 install cd's. > The 2004.1 install CD worked perfectly getting through all the > hardware detection. Once installed an emerge sync and a change in > profile and his install was sorted. So I dont know if you tried > different versions of the gentoo install cd but if not maybe track > down an older on? (2004.1 possibly). >
This is a good point - the live CD does some fairly complicated things dueing boot. It has a pretty massiv initrd image that it loads to do module loading and stuff, and the latest one simply might not be compatible with your hardware. Submit a bug for it, and then try an older liveCD. ---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list