From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists@×××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] How to turn off cpu fan when I turn on my laptop?
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:06:06
Pavel Riha wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:15:44PM -0200, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote: > >>I'm facing a little issue with my laptop and cpu fan. >> >>... >> >>Kernel only turns off my cpu fan after the temperature passes the 48C >>and come back to 42, 43. And turns it on again when it reaches the 51C. >> >>When I reach this level, it is ok. Kernel works as expected turning the >>fan on and off. The problem is before reaching this level, the fan >>doesn't turn off. >> >>I'd like to know if there is something I could do to tell kernel to turn >>off my fan if temperature is below 42C for example, even after a fresh >>boot, when temperature starts with 35C. > > > hmm ... are you sure, that the kernel even CAN stop the fan? > I thing that no :( > > I thing it's the bios(?) work or so. >
Hi Pavel, Hmmm, strange, I thought kernel could do it. I mean, when this laptop had Win Xp, as soon as the OS come up, the cooler stopped. When I installed Gnu/Linux it keeps the cooler on. I thought it could be somehow managed by kernel because I saw somethings about thermal_trips points which would allow me to say what to do , turn cooling active mode on and off, based on the current temp of system. The problem is only that when I turn my computer on, kernel, or maybe acpi doesn't check that and the cooler keeps on. Regards, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list