From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-mips@l.g.o, releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 23:34:27
1 On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 05/05/2014 06:22 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>>
6 >>> Right now the number of stages for each endianness is 8:
7 >>>[...]
8 >>
9 >> Do we need r1 and r2 stages?
10 >
11 > Why not? r2 has been around ~10 years. But r1 devices are still present.
14 >>>
15 >>> ==> 16 stages in total.
16 >>>
17 >>> This takes quite a bit of time for all stages to be built (by the time
18 >>> everything is built, we are one month passed the time the snapshot was
19 >>> taken). How about stop building stages for mips1, mips3 and mips4?
20 >>
21 >> How often are you building stages?
22 > Roughly every 3 months.
23
24 I wouldn't mind reducing this to every 6 months or so. It was
25 certainly a "when I felt like it" schedule for me.
26
27 >> Resources aren't a problem but it takes a month to build everything?
28 > Well, my free time is also limited so it's not just the resources that
29 > may or may not cause some problem :) Preparing catalyst and solving
30 > blockers in ~arch takes a considerable amount of my Gentoo time.
31
32 It was my experience that fixing the ~arch issues was something that
33 you did once for every batch of stages. You just reused the fixed up
34 portage snapshot for everything. It wasn't a trivial effort by any
35 means though.
36
37 >> Don't you have a 16 or 32-core build system? Cavium gave me ssh access
38 >> to one that I was planning to build stages on, but I never tried.
39 >>
40 >> I guess I don't understand the problem you're facing.
43 > My question (and not a problem) is whether building stages for old ISAs
44 > is desired or not. If it is, then that's fine. If not, then maybe we can
45 > stop building stages or maybe we can build them once a year? Like you
46 > said, with the additions of newer ISAs (like -r3) the total number of
47 > stages will grow even more. I think we are the arch with the most stages
48 > in Gentoo, which is a great thing(!) but maybe we can reconsider our
49 > options, and make room for newer ISAs and variants?
50
51 Once a year for stages with questionable usefulness seems reasonable to me.