From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Re: Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 19:35:35
1 On 05/05/2014 08:19 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 05/05/2014 10:06 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> Right now the number of stages for each endianness is 8:
6 >>
7 >> - mips1
8 >> - mips32
9 >> - mips32r2
10 >> - mips3
11 >> - mips4
12 >> - mips4_r10
13 >> - mips64
14 >> - mips64r2
15 >>
16 >> ==> 16 stages in total.
17 >>
18 >> This takes quite a bit of time for all stages to be built (by the time
19 >> everything is built, we are one month passed the time the snapshot was
20 >> taken). How about stop building stages for mips1, mips3 and mips4? We
21 >> keep the existing stages on the mirrors but we will no longer update
22 >> them (or maybe we do on per user or per case basis). I understand
23 >> there is hardware for these ISAs but how often do people actually use
24 >> the new stages?
25 >>
26 >> Just to be clear, I am not suggesting for the team to stop supporting
27 >> these ISAs but to stop building new stages and let the users of such
28 >> ISAs, grab an old stage3 and do the update themselves if needed.
29 >>
30 >> This will free up some hardware resources for building different
31 >> stages for the newer ISAs (maybe more non-multilib n32 and n64
32 >> variants etc)
33 >>
34 >> What does everyone think?
35 >>
36 >> (CC'ing releng just to keep them in the loop)
39 > FYI, for uclibc I'm only doing big endian mips32r2 and little endian
40 > mips3 (aka mipsel3). Those are in use (atheros ar71xx boards and
41 > lemote, respectively).
42 >
43 > Since you can build a lower level ISA on a board capable of a higher
44 > level ISA, maybe you want to choose along those lines, eg you can build
45 > mips1 using catalyst on an ar71xx board running mips32r2.
48 Yes there are a lot of options. Sadly we have no metrics on how many
49 people use the old ISA stages or how many of them build their own thing.
50 I don't want to decide anything by myself, I want to know what others
51 think and make a decision as a team and community (if we are going to
52 decide anything at all) :)
55 Regards,
56 Markos Chandras