From: Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Please test SGI mips stages
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:12:02
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Manuel Lauss > <manuel.lauss@××××××××××.com> wrote: >> Hi Matt, >> >> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote: >>> If you'd like to help offset the cost of electricity used to create >>> these and future stages, please send me a private email. :) >> >> First of all, thanks for fixing Gentoo on MIPS >> >> What kind of machines are you looking for?  I suspect you're aiming for >> the bigger 64bit machines (SiByte, SGI) ? >> I'd like to help and I routinely (re)build Gentoo on little-endian MIPS32 >> machines (o32 ABI); but I don't have any 64bit machines. > > Great. Thanks :) > > I plan to build mips32 stages, but I don't really know much about this > type of hardware. As you guessed, I'm more interested in 64-bit > systems. > > Are there big-endian mips32 systems worth supporting? My little-endian > userland seems to be dead and I've been building these big endian > stages, so I haven't had time to revive it yet.
I think almost every little broadcom/atheros-based router supported by OpenWRT is a potential candidate; they certainly outnumber the available big SGI boxes :) I don't know which endianness though, but being networking machines I suppose them being big-endian makes sense. My test hardware is bi-endian, but I never ran it big-endian since I've no kernel for them. Let me just try and figure out what's necessary..
> If you would, please join the #gentoo-mips IRC channel. :)
Done. Thanks, Manuel Lauss