From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 07:07:54
1 On 05/06/2014 10:37 PM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 >
3 >> And you haven't really convinced me why mips4 is desired, when mips3 can
4 >> run just fine on mips4 hardware. I think you need to be realist, and
5 >> take into consideration, not just your personal needs, but also the time
6 >> it actually takes to build and maintain all these stages. I explained
7 >> that so many times already, I am not going to do that again.
8 >> As Anthony said, mipsel3 is used by lemote, so keeping it alive is
9 >> probably a good thing (though the newer hardware is mips64 capable)
10 >
11 > Well, to me, mips3 != mipsel3. Sorry about that. When I say mips3/mips4
12 > (lowercase), I usually refer to big-endian. If I capitalize the ISA, i.e.,
13 > MIPS-III or MIPS-IV, then I'm referring to the entire ISA, regardless of
14 > endianness.
15 >
16 > So, to re-clarify my original statement, for big-endian SGI systems, we
17 > probably only need mips4 and I guess the mips4_r10 stages. I don't know if
18 > any of our users still have or run R4x00 mips3 big-endian equipment. If so,
19 > well, I can do that too, then. It's just a higher electric bill :)
20
21 Dropping mips4 and building mips3 (yes BE) should satisfy everyone even
22 if they don't get the maximum optimizations right after the stage3
23 unpacking. But if you want to do all 3 of them, I will not stop you :)
26 > And it's not really my personal preference. Based on my understanding of
27 > what we currently support, that's what makes sense to me. I know you work
28 > on MIPS stuff for your day job, but it's a hobby for me, so I have to
29 > prioritize things a bit differently. That said, I've done catalyst runs
30 > before, so I know how time-consuming they can be, especially if the build
31 > breaks somewhere in the middle of a long compile.
32
33 I am not getting paid to do Gentoo/MIPS (not sure when I said the
34 opposite) so it's still a hobby for me that's why I want to do other
35 things as well. We can all agree that being an arch team member is not
36 just about building stages.
39 > I think what we need to do is instead of having just one person like you or
40 > Matt do all of the stage building, separate out the ISAs/ABIs/etc to the
41 > people that actually care most about it. Anthony works with the mipsel3
42 > Lemote hardware, so if he wants, he can take care of mipsel3 stages; I'll
43 > handle the SGI stuff since I know a lot about those machines; and you can
44 > cover whichever of the newer ISAs matter most to you.
45 >
46 > Sound reasonable? We can even work out a set timetable for stage building,
47 > or just release individual stages on an as-needed basis.
48
49 Works perfectly fine for me. I think each one building his stages on his
50 own timescale is better.
54 >>> Otherwise, just e-mail me your mips3/mips4/mips4_r10 spec files, any custom
55 >>> tweaks/changes to catalyst, and any specific instructions you do
56 >>> before/during/after a catalyst build and I'll put the O2 to work if needed.
57 >>>
58 >>
59 >> There is nothing special about my spec files and I do nothing special in
60 >> catalyst so feel free to pick up the mips3 and mips4 stages. If you are
61 >> having troubles with catalyst email the gentoo-catalyst@ ML. That might
62 >> actually be a good way for you to become active again ;)
63 >
64 > Back in the past, I had to tweak catalyst sometimes to get it to do stage
65 > builds properly. A lot of those bugs have probably been fixed by now, at
66 > least for stage1-3.
67
68 There are usually blockers and stuff due to MIPS being ~arch but
69 catalyst, as a tool, works fine.
70
71 The livecd stages and netboots, however, were much more
72 > problematic.
73
74 I don't think we do that anymore
77 > If you can still send me at least one of your stage3 spec files, that'd be
78 > appreciated. It's been 5-6 years since I last messed with catalyst. The
79 > Octane was my build platform, but combined with the bitrot that prevented it
80 > from booting, moving, a new job, etc, I never got around to setting up stage
81 > building on the O2. Now that I can boot Octane again, I can at least
82 > recover my old spec files, though. Might help if I ever attempt to tackle
83 > the livecd or netboot builds again.
84
85 I will email you a complete set of stage1/2/3 for, say, mips3 and then
86 it's easy to figure out what do change for the rest :)
90 Regards,
91 Markos Chandras