From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 21:37:33
1 On 05/06/2014 13:50, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 05/06/2014 09:10 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >> On 05/06/2014 03:07, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 >>> @kumba: You mentioned too many times that I wanted to "drop" support for
5 >>> mips3 and mips4. I never said that (I am sort-of tired keep repeating
6 >>> that). All I said (again) was to reduce the frequency or stop building
7 >>> them at all. Users can still get an existing mips3/mips4 stage3 and
8 >>> update themselves
9 >>
10 >> Maybe it's just my way of interpretation, but in your opening paragraph,
11 >> even though you said we wouldn't drop support, you did suggest not creating
12 >> new stages for mips1-mips4.
13 >>
14 >> Given a sufficiently long-enough time, that effectively drops support due to
15 >> bitrot. Like I mentioned w/ the 2009-era userland on this Octane, I am not
16 >> going to even try to update that, simply due to the amount of time it would
17 >> take, even if I figure the IRQ prioritization bugs out.
18 >>
19 >> So, my apologies if I read it wrong, but that's just how I see it.
22 >>> (picking up a random thread)
23 >>>
24 >>> Ok thanks for the replies.
25 >>>
26 >>> Ok I think it's safe to proceed with the following:
27 >>> - Stop mips1 builds (we don't have mips2)
28 >>
29 >> I'll defer to Matt to chime in to my last message and correct me anymore, if
30 >> needed, but, I think we'll want to keep either a mips1 or a mips2, but not
31 >> both. As well as decide whether it's a full stage3 or just a simple
32 >> stage1/stage2 tarball so people have a base from which to start a port to a
33 >> new MIPS machine if needed. That can get updated once a year, especially if
34 >> it's a stage1 which shouldn't take long at all.
35 >
36 > I see no value for mips1 or mips2 so feel free to pick these up. Even if
37 > someone is using them as bootstrap, then *any* mips1 stage3 would do.
38
39 WFM.
42 >>> - Reduce the frequency to once-a-year for mips3 and mips4. Updating
43 >>> these stages every year with catalyst will be a lot of fun ;)
44 >>
45 >> NAK, At least once every 6 months, and preferably shortly after the .1
46 >> release of a new major gcc rev, given gcc's absurd compile time now. Gentoo
47 >> moves fast, and a lot can change in a year.
48 >
49 > Forgive me but this almost sounds like an order :) This is not going to
50 > happen, sorry :) I don't want to become a build robot and spend all my
51 > Gentoo/MIPS time doing stages. With the introduction of new ISAs, the
52 > total number of stages will grow even more, and like i explained
53 > multiple times, this does not scale. There are other parts of the
54 > architecture that needs some love too and right now I have no time for both.
55
56 It's not an order, sorry. Just a preference to avoid long compile times.
57 If you have a stage3 built against gcc-4.8.x, and 4.9.x becomes stable,
58 someone installing will have to compile 4.9, then rebuild everything to gain
59 the enhancements 4.9 will bring. If a new stage3 is built after the .1
60 release of a new major rev (so that we avoid major bugs in the .0 release),
61 that should mitigate that problem.
64 > And you haven't really convinced me why mips4 is desired, when mips3 can
65 > run just fine on mips4 hardware. I think you need to be realist, and
66 > take into consideration, not just your personal needs, but also the time
67 > it actually takes to build and maintain all these stages. I explained
68 > that so many times already, I am not going to do that again.
69 > As Anthony said, mipsel3 is used by lemote, so keeping it alive is
70 > probably a good thing (though the newer hardware is mips64 capable)
71
72 Well, to me, mips3 != mipsel3. Sorry about that. When I say mips3/mips4
73 (lowercase), I usually refer to big-endian. If I capitalize the ISA, i.e.,
74 MIPS-III or MIPS-IV, then I'm referring to the entire ISA, regardless of
75 endianness.
76
77 So, to re-clarify my original statement, for big-endian SGI systems, we
78 probably only need mips4 and I guess the mips4_r10 stages. I don't know if
79 any of our users still have or run R4x00 mips3 big-endian equipment. If so,
80 well, I can do that too, then. It's just a higher electric bill :)
81
82 And it's not really my personal preference. Based on my understanding of
83 what we currently support, that's what makes sense to me. I know you work
84 on MIPS stuff for your day job, but it's a hobby for me, so I have to
85 prioritize things a bit differently. That said, I've done catalyst runs
86 before, so I know how time-consuming they can be, especially if the build
87 breaks somewhere in the middle of a long compile.
88
89 I think what we need to do is instead of having just one person like you or
90 Matt do all of the stage building, separate out the ISAs/ABIs/etc to the
91 people that actually care most about it. Anthony works with the mipsel3
92 Lemote hardware, so if he wants, he can take care of mipsel3 stages; I'll
93 handle the SGI stuff since I know a lot about those machines; and you can
94 cover whichever of the newer ISAs matter most to you.
95
96 Sound reasonable? We can even work out a set timetable for stage building,
97 or just release individual stages on an as-needed basis.
100 >> Otherwise, just e-mail me your mips3/mips4/mips4_r10 spec files, any custom
101 >> tweaks/changes to catalyst, and any specific instructions you do
102 >> before/during/after a catalyst build and I'll put the O2 to work if needed.
105 > There is nothing special about my spec files and I do nothing special in
106 > catalyst so feel free to pick up the mips3 and mips4 stages. If you are
107 > having troubles with catalyst email the gentoo-catalyst@ ML. That might
108 > actually be a good way for you to become active again ;)
109
110 Back in the past, I had to tweak catalyst sometimes to get it to do stage
111 builds properly. A lot of those bugs have probably been fixed by now, at
112 least for stage1-3. The livecd stages and netboots, however, were much more
113 problematic.
114
115 If you can still send me at least one of your stage3 spec files, that'd be
116 appreciated. It's been 5-6 years since I last messed with catalyst. The
117 Octane was my build platform, but combined with the bitrot that prevented it
118 from booting, moving, a new job, etc, I never got around to setting up stage
119 building on the O2. Now that I can boot Octane again, I can at least
120 recover my old spec files, though. Might help if I ever attempt to tackle
121 the livecd or netboot builds again.
124 Joshua Kinard
125 Gentoo/MIPS
126 kumba@g.o
127 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
128
129 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
130 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
131
132 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic