From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 17:52:00
1 On 05/06/2014 09:10 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 05/06/2014 03:07, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> @kumba: You mentioned too many times that I wanted to "drop" support for
4 >> mips3 and mips4. I never said that (I am sort-of tired keep repeating
5 >> that). All I said (again) was to reduce the frequency or stop building
6 >> them at all. Users can still get an existing mips3/mips4 stage3 and
7 >> update themselves
8 >
9 > Maybe it's just my way of interpretation, but in your opening paragraph,
10 > even though you said we wouldn't drop support, you did suggest not creating
11 > new stages for mips1-mips4.
12 >
13 > Given a sufficiently long-enough time, that effectively drops support due to
14 > bitrot. Like I mentioned w/ the 2009-era userland on this Octane, I am not
15 > going to even try to update that, simply due to the amount of time it would
16 > take, even if I figure the IRQ prioritization bugs out.
17 >
18 > So, my apologies if I read it wrong, but that's just how I see it.
21 >> (picking up a random thread)
22 >>
23 >> Ok thanks for the replies.
24 >>
25 >> Ok I think it's safe to proceed with the following:
26 >> - Stop mips1 builds (we don't have mips2)
27 >
28 > I'll defer to Matt to chime in to my last message and correct me anymore, if
29 > needed, but, I think we'll want to keep either a mips1 or a mips2, but not
30 > both. As well as decide whether it's a full stage3 or just a simple
31 > stage1/stage2 tarball so people have a base from which to start a port to a
32 > new MIPS machine if needed. That can get updated once a year, especially if
33 > it's a stage1 which shouldn't take long at all.
34
35 I see no value for mips1 or mips2 so feel free to pick these up. Even if
36 someone is using them as bootstrap, then *any* mips1 stage3 would do.
40 >> - Reduce the frequency to once-a-year for mips3 and mips4. Updating
41 >> these stages every year with catalyst will be a lot of fun ;)
42 >
43 > NAK, At least once every 6 months, and preferably shortly after the .1
44 > release of a new major gcc rev, given gcc's absurd compile time now. Gentoo
45 > moves fast, and a lot can change in a year.
46
47 Forgive me but this almost sounds like an order :) This is not going to
48 happen, sorry :) I don't want to become a build robot and spend all my
49 Gentoo/MIPS time doing stages. With the introduction of new ISAs, the
50 total number of stages will grow even more, and like i explained
51 multiple times, this does not scale. There are other parts of the
52 architecture that needs some love too and right now I have no time for both.
53
54 And you haven't really convinced me why mips4 is desired, when mips3 can
55 run just fine on mips4 hardware. I think you need to be realist, and
56 take into consideration, not just your personal needs, but also the time
57 it actually takes to build and maintain all these stages. I explained
58 that so many times already, I am not going to do that again.
59 As Anthony said, mipsel3 is used by lemote, so keeping it alive is
60 probably a good thing (though the newer hardware is mips64 capable)
63 > Otherwise, just e-mail me your mips3/mips4/mips4_r10 spec files, any custom
64 > tweaks/changes to catalyst, and any specific instructions you do
65 > before/during/after a catalyst build and I'll put the O2 to work if needed.
68 There is nothing special about my spec files and I do nothing special in
69 catalyst so feel free to pick up the mips3 and mips4 stages. If you are
70 having troubles with catalyst email the gentoo-catalyst@ ML. That might
71 actually be a good way for you to become active again ;)
74 Regards,
75 Markos Chandras