From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] php for mips architecture?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 06:10:07
Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Daniel Seichter wrote: >> Hello, >> >> Does anyone know, how I can emerge php on my qube2? > > You can unmask it using various files in /etc/portage, but then you can > never ask anyone for support. PHP is no longer supported on mips, and > probably never will be, just because there is little need for it. >
To elaborate... there are a number of issues here. ① There are serious QA concerns regarding the current PHP ebuilds. ② PHP runs awfully slow on MIPS machines (even fast ones). ③ We're only a small team, and don't have the time to be constantly testing the huge list of dependencies that PHP hauls in -- which is a rapidly moving target. package.keywords is the file you want to use. Many of the packages you install will be missing ~mips or mips keywords. You can either copy the ebuild to an overlay, use a text editor to add the mips keyword to the KEYWORDS line of the ebuild, and run `ebuild foo.ebuild digest`... or, you can use the package.keywords file to accept the "~*" keyword for each dependant package lacking a ~mips keyword. A word of warning though. There has been absolutely no testing done on these packages, and thus we take no responsibility for what they may do on a system. While I doubt they'll break anything (except maybe Apache), there's no guarantee that they'll work properly, if at all. You proceed at your own risk. -- Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''. Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` : . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'.' http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.' International Asperger's Year (1906 ~ 2006) http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter/iay