From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 23:36:57
1 On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 > I cannot speak for anything outside of the standard/original MIPS ISAs, but
3 > I thought we killed off mips1 long ago. When did that come back? Almost
4 > anything out there should be able to handle mips2 at a bare minimum (only
5 > R2000 and R3000-based systems, like certain DECStations, would need mips1).
6 > mips2 is also the branch point for the mips32r* ISAs, so if any of the
7 > original, 32-bit ISAs should be kept, that would be mips2. mips1 can go.
8
9 We've had this discussion before. If you're going to have >mips2
10 stages, then there's zero reason to have mips2 stages since mips2
11 effectively doesn't exist.
12
13 mips1 is a significantly smaller build than other stages, since
14 there's only one ABI. It's really not much time, relatively speaking.