From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 22:02:47
1 On 05/05/2014 13:22, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> Right now the number of stages for each endianness is 8:
6 >>
7 >> - mips1
8 >> - mips32
9 >> - mips32r2
10 >
11 > Do we need r1 and r2 stages?
12 >
13 > (Isn't r3 a thing now?)
14
15 I cannot speak for anything outside of the standard/original MIPS ISAs, but
16 I thought we killed off mips1 long ago. When did that come back? Almost
17 anything out there should be able to handle mips2 at a bare minimum (only
18 R2000 and R3000-based systems, like certain DECStations, would need mips1).
19 mips2 is also the branch point for the mips32r* ISAs, so if any of the
20 original, 32-bit ISAs should be kept, that would be mips2. mips1 can go.
23 >> - mips3
24 >> - mips4
25 >> - mips4_r10
26 >
27 > Big endian only.
30 Seconded. We still support SGI systems, which max out at the mips4 ISA. If
31 we drop support for mips3, that will cut off any R4x00-based Indigo2 and
32 Indy systems, but I believe those to be fairly rare anyways (and the R4600
33 still has quirks about it that can pose challenges).
34
35 mips4 little-endian is only useful for the old Cobalt RaQ2 and Qube
36 hardware, which I don't think is reasonable anymore. Modern gcc takes long
37 enough on an SGI system with a secondary cache -- the Cobalt's low-powered
38 RM5231 with no L2 would make 4.8 or 4.9 even more excruciating. Max memory
39 there is 256MB of RAM, and I don't know if gcc-4.9 will build under that.
40
41 And I don't see a point in doing an R10K-specific mips4 build. The standard
42 mips4 build is good enough, and users of R10K systems can rebuild to gain
43 the R10K enhancements if needed.
44
45 So, keep mips4 big-endian as a standard stage build, let's do a mips3
46 big-endian build maybe once or twice a year, and drop mips4 little-endian
47 and R10K mips4.
50 Joshua Kinard
51 Gentoo/MIPS
52 kumba@g.o
53 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
54
55 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
56 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
57
58 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic