From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:06:44
1 Hi all
2
3 Over the last few years, we have noticed that the current name/logo usage
4 guidelines [1] are not always entirely clear or properly interpreted. The
5 Gentoo Foundation, Inc. has received quite a few requests to use the Gentoo
6 logo in services such as web based virtual machine management software,
7 software staging automation, etc. even though the applicant had read the
8 guidelines.
9
10 In our search to find a better license description for the name and logo,
11 we stumbled upon the Django Trademark License Agreement [2] which was
12 written with the same principles that we have in mind.
13
14 After consultation with the Django Software Foundation board we decided to
15 base our license on their text, of which the draft result is now available
16 for review at http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/tmp/gentoo-trademark.xml [3].
17
18 We would appreciate that the new license is reviewed. We would really like
19 to know if the new license is more clear (or not) than the previous one.
20
21 Wkr,
22 Sven Vermeulen
23 for the Gentoo Foundation, Inc.