From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 02:11:36
1 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> said:
2 > On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 01:47 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
3 > > > What happens if infra decided we need to buy our SSL certs rather than
4 > > > free from CACert? What happens if hardware we own dies and we have to
5 > > > buy a replacement? What happens if the council wants to do new things,
6 > > > request is made to infra, but funds are there to make such request
7 > > > happen?
8 > >
9 > > The usual, somebody steps up for providing those if interested.
10 >
11 > Ok so if infra was polled right now. Would they say they have all they
12 > need. Or let's go one further all they would like.
13 >
14 > FYI, I am about to start removing FreeBSD keywords. Since there is no
15 > one doing keywording there anymore. I am held up on some things I need
16 > to do on the Java front for months now. Do we have any infra maintained
17 > FreeBSD boxes available for our developers. Like we do for other archs?
18
19 How is this related at all to the current discussion? Perhaps you
20 should contact the developers that are trying to get Gentoo/FreeBSD
21 going.
22
23 > > Usually sponsorship or just the improvements they are bound to give back
24 > > due gpl. We are not doing this for money, you know?
25 >
26 > Yes, but we require $ to do what we do now. Gentoo doesn't happen for
27 > free either. Again with all this time people are giving. If we had no
28 > where to commit our code then? Or means to email each other like now.
29
30 So are we going to start paying developers too? Having money for Gentoo
31 should be to just help out where we can't get sponsors to do so. There
32 is no way Gentoo will ever be able to pay all of its expenses. I'm not
33 sure if that's what you are going for, but if so, I can't see how it
34 will ever happen.
35
36 > I think we already have clear abuses of volunteers and their time. Not
37 > sure why you think we are much different or better than them.
38
39 How are we abusing our volunteers and their time?
42 Mark Loeser
43 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
44 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
45 web - http://www.halcy0n.com