From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:37:18
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > OK, I'm starting a new thread here to try to discuss some things the
4 > trustees can do to improve both visibility and also attempt to
5 > ensure/promote progress within the Foundation. Please chime in with
6 > your own ideas.
7 >
8 > - Regular meetings - The trustees should have a regular monthly meeting
9 > to discuss progress, preferably the first week of the month (for GMN).
10 >
11 Sounds good.
12 > - Regular GMN section - I think that both the Council and the trustees
13 > should have a section each for summaries of their latest meetings. This
14 > should relay information about what is happening to the developer pool
15 > and the community, in general.
16 >
17 Agreed. The news snippets that have been coming through, with automatic
18 links to a discussion thread on the forums have been really good.
19
20 > - Named positions - I also think that specifically putting certain
21 > people into certain positions would possibly improve getting things
22 > done. For each position, there should be an alternate, so that we don't
23 > end up relying on a single person. This also breaks up the
24 > responsibilities a bit so that the trustees and the community know what
25 > responsibilities that each person should be working. Positions that I
26 > see that could/should be filled: President, Secretary, Treasurer
27 >
28 > Those are my initial ideas. Comments?
29 >
30 I'm not sure about this last one: the Council seems to work as a voting
31 structure with an understanding of parity. I'd rather see the Foundation
32 employing a professional administrator, hiring a lawyer and an accountant,
33 with oversight by the Trustees. Either that or hand those responsibilities
34 over to the SFC/SPI. I don't think the Foundation membership, which aiui is
35 developers and ex-developers, has the skills base to do those tasks
36 professionally, as they require. Nor do they seem to have been that
37 motivated to carry out those tasks, unsurprisingly.
38
39 A user on the forums pointed out the Foundation Charter at
40 http://www.gentoo.org/foundation/en/ -- I note from there that the three
41 strands of its remit are: legal (IP protection), financial and social (the
42 Social Contract.) It seems to me that the Code of Conduct now stands
43 alongside the Social Contract, and it would be useful for the Trustees to
44 actively oversee that side of things, wrt to the issues noted by others.
45
46 IOW I believe the Trustees should have a wider remit than only the legal
47 matters, going into the future. Given the clear need for work on user
48 involvement and areas like PR, which impact upon the standing of the brand,
49 it would make sense for the Trustees to represent the interests of the
50 community as a whole, including devs, staff, infra and users, in order to
51 fulfil their remit.
52
53 It would also make the work more interesting, and this stuff clearly needs
54 to be done. Stipulating that Trustees would be supported by qualified
55 professionals would mean they can "take over all of the more organizational
56 roles" or at least more of them, alleviating pressure on the Council which
57 can only help development, imo.
58 --
59 gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list