From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 21:33:51
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Matthew Summers
4 > <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Our trademark registration for both the wordmark "GENTOO" and our "G"
6 > > Logo are perpetual (as of last year's filing) and cover national (USA)
7 > > and applicable international usage (i.e. with countries we have
8 > > treaties with governing this sort of thing). I am not aware of what
9 > > Friends of Gentoo eV has in the way of a trademark. However based on
10 > > the statements of our representative (Fenwick & West) to the USPTO, I
11 > > was led to believe that the Gentoo Foundation Inc is the sole owner of
12 > > the aforementioned marks.
13 > >
14 > > If there is a need I can contact our rep for clarification.
15 >
16 > My understanding is that US courts don't really recognize the
17 > jurisdiction of any other courts. If some company that generally does
18 > business outside the US happens to have any property at all in the US
19 > or a country the US has a lot of influence over and they harm the
20 > Gentoo mark, legally we could probably do bad things to them. The
21 > reach of the US isn't infinite, of course, but it goes pretty far.
22 > I'm not commenting at all as to whether we should do such things, or
23 > whether US courts should be the way they are - I'm speaking mainly to
24 > our options.
27 I would exercise caution in speculating on what options are available to us
28 (nominally that is the job of counsel.)
32 > I guess my point is that in the US trademarks are very well-protected.
33 > Hence we should be careful about implying that our mark is weaker
34 > than it actually is, because that will actually make it weaker. My
35 > understanding is that as far as any US court is concerned there is
36 > only one Gentoo on the entire planet and it is the Gentoo Foundation,
37 > unless we actually limit ourselves.
40 So I agree in principal here.
44 > All that said, it would probably make sense at some point to try to
45 > combine with the e.V. or at least come to some kind of agreement on
46 > scope for the two organizations. As far as I'm aware the Gentoo
47 > Foundation is the only one footing the day-to-day bills and if I had
48 > to guess I'd say the majority of our funding for conferences/etc goes
49 > to Europe as well. I'm sure the e.V. does great things too.
52 I'm unsure what legal agreements (if any) the Gentoo Foundation currently
53 has with Gentoo e.V.
54
55 I refuse to let this speculation continue though. If you don't know what
56 Gentoo e.V is doing,
57 I recommend not speculating further on the list and simply engage them in
58 conversation about it. They are nice folks ;)
59
60 They have a website: https://www.gentoo-ev.org/
61 Here are their trademark guidelines: https://www.gentoo-ev.org/wiki/Marke
62
63 I'm not sure what their budget is, or what they spend their money on. I
64 know they sell stuff at conferences (T-shirts, mugs, pins, etc.)
65
66 -A
70 > Rich