From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 20:57:43
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Matthew Summers
2 <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
3 > Our trademark registration for both the wordmark "GENTOO" and our "G"
4 > Logo are perpetual (as of last year's filing) and cover national (USA)
5 > and applicable international usage (i.e. with countries we have
6 > treaties with governing this sort of thing). I am not aware of what
7 > Friends of Gentoo eV has in the way of a trademark. However based on
8 > the statements of our representative (Fenwick & West) to the USPTO, I
9 > was led to believe that the Gentoo Foundation Inc is the sole owner of
10 > the aforementioned marks.
11 >
12 > If there is a need I can contact our rep for clarification.
13
14 My understanding is that US courts don't really recognize the
15 jurisdiction of any other courts. If some company that generally does
16 business outside the US happens to have any property at all in the US
17 or a country the US has a lot of influence over and they harm the
18 Gentoo mark, legally we could probably do bad things to them. The
19 reach of the US isn't infinite, of course, but it goes pretty far.
20 I'm not commenting at all as to whether we should do such things, or
21 whether US courts should be the way they are - I'm speaking mainly to
22 our options.
23
24 I guess my point is that in the US trademarks are very well-protected.
25 Hence we should be careful about implying that our mark is weaker
26 than it actually is, because that will actually make it weaker. My
27 understanding is that as far as any US court is concerned there is
28 only one Gentoo on the entire planet and it is the Gentoo Foundation,
29 unless we actually limit ourselves.
30
31 All that said, it would probably make sense at some point to try to
32 combine with the e.V. or at least come to some kind of agreement on
33 scope for the two organizations. As far as I'm aware the Gentoo
34 Foundation is the only one footing the day-to-day bills and if I had
35 to guess I'd say the majority of our funding for conferences/etc goes
36 to Europe as well. I'm sure the e.V. does great things too.
37
38 Rich