From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 08:49:16
1 On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 09:18:02AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > This was brought forward when we started accepting user contributions
8 > > > through GitHub. Yes, we've had the discussion that we don't depend on
9 > it.
10 > > > But now the question was how do we need to interpret "depend on"?
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > The Council took up this topic last week. I'm not suggesting the
14 > > Trustees are bound by this, but they certainly should be informed by
15 > > it. What we agreed upon was:
16 > >
17 > > "The Gentoo council encourages contributions to Gentoo via manyfold
18 > > ways. However, it also recognizes that the usage of Github, being a
19 > > closed-source service, poses the danger of data lock-in and should not
20 > > be preferred. The question has been posed whether the current usage of
21 > > Github is in line with the Gentoo social contract- a question still
22 > > open to interpretation.
23 > > With this background the council asks for implementation of
24 > > * the two-way mirroring of Github pull requests to bugzilla (including
25 > > comments and patches)
26 > > * the public archiving of Github repository e-mail notifications
27 > > * and the mirroring of Github pull request git branches on Gentoo
28 > > infrastructure
29 > > or functionally equivalent alternatives. The council believes that
30 > > this should suffice for all developers to dispell doubts about
31 > > adherence to the Gentoo social contract."
32 >
33 > This, and the remainder of the discussion in this thread, already assumes
34 > that there is a dependency applicable. There is still the strict
35 > interpretation of that paragraph, which somewhat excludes services (it
36 > being
37 > about the release of our contributions, or the collection of software and
38 > documentation that constitutes Gentoo).
42 > People can also interpret it that it includes services, in which case we
43 > should
44 > know if "dependence" is in a terminal sense (without it, we can't survive)
45 > or in other degrees of dependency (losing functionality, or just losing
46 > performance). Right now, services such as those that GitHub provides are
47 > not
48 > a hard dependency. If GitHub closes its doors suddenly, we will not lose
49 > functionality, merely some performance in one of our contributing
50 > processes.
53 I think it is informative to know what 'people' think (because perception
54 has value) but I'm not sure I actually care so much as to be driven to
55 action by 'what people think.' "People' can often think whatever they like,
56 that doesn't mean we need to act. Does that make sense?
59 > That is not something I personally see as being dependent upon. But that is
60 > how I feel when I see the term "depend on". It's a language construction,
61 > not a mathematically defined statement, so I definitely understand if
62 > people
63 > read "depend on" as in "there is a relationship between the two".
64 >
65 > So the other discussions are to be seen in the "worst case", which even
66 > then
67 > is not a final end. Our "Social Contract" has been written with a specific
68 > purpose in mind. It is an attempt to write down the principles in a
69 > readable
70 > and clear way. Like always, language interpretations can occur. If we
71 > notice
72 > that the interpretation of the text is not in line with our principles then
73 > we should start the process of making our principles more clear.
76 I think revising the language to better align the "contract" with our
77 actual intentions seems like a fine idea.
80 > That then starts with finding consensus from the Gentoo Project on how they
81 > want to evolve. Are the principles of "Gentoo is and will remain Free
82 > Software" in jeopardy or not? In what way would we need to either refine
83 > the
84 > contract, or provide a FAQ document alongside the contract that explains
85 > how
86 > we feel about specific interpretations (or more specifically, the
87 > relationship we would have with external services)?
90 I'm a bit unclear here, is the decider here trustees@ or council@? Or are
91 we willing to simply let the project decide on their own with limited
92 trustee oversight (e.g. the contract should not advocate for any behavior
93 that imposes legal risk on the foundation.) Who is driving such changes?
96 > I deliberately did not include this in the thread (i.e. I did not ask
97 > "Do you consider external services as being part of Gentoo" and
98 > "When do you feel Gentoo depends on an external service") as I think first
99 > we need to know if there is ground to do this or not.
100 >
101 > Wkr,
102 > Sven Vermeulen