From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 01:37:37
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 >> That is not a statement on behalf of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. at all.
4 >> Its my personal opinion as a non US citizen, not normally subject to
5 >> the jurisdiction of the US courts.
6 >> Its also an acknowledgement that the US courts can be and are ignored,
7 >> even in Europe. e.g. enforcing software patents.
8 >>
9 >> I believe our IP is well protected in the USA, is protected in places
10 >> the USA has treaties with but is not protected at all in regions where
11 >> the USA has little or no influence. e.g. Cuba. Cuba seems to be doing
12 >> quite nicely ... they even have their own Gentoo based distro.
13 >
14 > So, if Bill Gates stated, purely as a private citizen, that Microsoft
15 > probably didn't have grounds to sue Google over some software patent,
16 > do you think that this wouldn't be likely to be introduced as evidence
17 > in a court all the same? Would it influence a jury?
18
19 Rich, I understand what you're saying here and how Roy, even though is
20 not a US citizen, by being the President of the Foundation needs to be
21 careful about legal requirements / obligations may be imposed on him
22 for being a Trustee and the President of the Foundation.
23 However, as a fellow Foundation member and European developer, I share
24 Roy's opinion and feel it's appropriate to recall that even though we
25 may be members of the Foundation, we may not acknowledge the views of
26 the US legal system about what rights it holds outside of the US and
27 in our own countries or EU.
28 In my own case, I've long held some reservations about some of the
29 claims of the Foundation and have thought that there are valid reasons
30 to have a Gentoo European Foundation. One recent issue where I believe
31 we would be better served by a EU organization is the whole debate
32 about having developers from countries that aren't "liked" by US.
33
34 Regards,
35 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
36 Gentoo (European) Developer