From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:47:25
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > That is not a statement on behalf of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. at all.
3 > Its my personal opinion as a non US citizen, not normally subject to
4 > the jurisdiction of the US courts.
5 > Its also an acknowledgement that the US courts can be and are ignored,
6 > even in Europe. e.g. enforcing software patents.
7 >
8 > I believe our IP is well protected in the USA, is protected in places
9 > the USA has treaties with but is not protected at all in regions where
10 > the USA has little or no influence. e.g. Cuba. Cuba seems to be doing
11 > quite nicely ... they even have their own Gentoo based distro.
12
13 So, if Bill Gates stated, purely as a private citizen, that Microsoft
14 probably didn't have grounds to sue Google over some software patent,
15 do you think that this wouldn't be likely to be introduced as evidence
16 in a court all the same? Would it influence a jury?
17
18 I guess the point is that we need to be careful here. The Gentoo
19 trademarks and IP are the Gentoo Foundation's greatest asset. As a
20 member of the Foundation's board you're legally required to do
21 everything in your power to preserve the value of those assets, unless
22 you're spending them to further the Foundation's mission.
23
24 I don't mean this as finger-pointing/etc. Just having been in your
25 shoes I've wondered whether I could legally make comments to the
26 effect that some entity might have some legal right to the Gentoo name
27 beyond anything explicitly granted by the Foundation. It could
28 potentially make me liable to any Foundation member for a lawsuit over
29 despoliation of assets. That might be the case whether the statement
30 was true or not, simply because it could be used against the
31 Foundation, and I'm an officer of the Foundation required under US law
32 to protect its interests (as such I could be liable for both action or
33 failure to act).
34
35 That's why I think it is a good idea to try to establish some kind of
36 legal relationship with the e.V. one way or another. It just seems
37 like a potential legal-issue-in-waiting down the road if for some
38 reason the two orgs ever do go separate ways, or for some 3rd party to
39 leverage against both organizations.
40
41 As far as legal counsel goes - I certainly agree that on such matters
42 their advice should be sought. That's why I'm trying to caution
43 against speculation on a public mailing list that the Gentoo
44 Foundation's legal rights are limited in any way whatsoever.
45
46 Rich