From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 00:25:50
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > That is not a statement on behalf of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. at all.
6 > > Its my personal opinion as a non US citizen, not normally subject to
7 > > the jurisdiction of the US courts.
8 > > Its also an acknowledgement that the US courts can be and are ignored,
9 > > even in Europe. e.g. enforcing software patents.
10 > >
11 > > I believe our IP is well protected in the USA, is protected in places
12 > > the USA has treaties with but is not protected at all in regions where
13 > > the USA has little or no influence. e.g. Cuba. Cuba seems to be doing
14 > > quite nicely ... they even have their own Gentoo based distro.
15 >
16 > So, if Bill Gates stated, purely as a private citizen, that Microsoft
17 > probably didn't have grounds to sue Google over some software patent,
18 > do you think that this wouldn't be likely to be introduced as evidence
19 > in a court all the same? Would it influence a jury?
22 I am amused that below, you talk about how speculation is probably a bad
23 idea, but
24 you continue to speculate here (against your own advice!)
25
26 Seriously though, I'm not sure what our legal costs are (if any) but these
27 conversations are
28 likely fine to have in an attorney client privileged conversation. Maybe
29 consultation is expensive for us, which is why we have them here (at some
30 risk to the Foundation.)
34 > I guess the point is that we need to be careful here. The Gentoo
35 > trademarks and IP are the Gentoo Foundation's greatest asset. As a
36 > member of the Foundation's board you're legally required to do
37 > everything in your power to preserve the value of those assets, unless
38 > you're spending them to further the Foundation's mission.
39 >
40 > I don't mean this as finger-pointing/etc. Just having been in your
41 > shoes I've wondered whether I could legally make comments to the
42 > effect that some entity might have some legal right to the Gentoo name
43 > beyond anything explicitly granted by the Foundation. It could
44 > potentially make me liable to any Foundation member for a lawsuit over
45 > despoliation of assets. That might be the case whether the statement
46 > was true or not, simply because it could be used against the
47 > Foundation, and I'm an officer of the Foundation required under US law
48 > to protect its interests (as such I could be liable for both action or
49 > failure to act).
52 > That's why I think it is a good idea to try to establish some kind of
53 > legal relationship with the e.V. one way or another. It just seems
54 > like a potential legal-issue-in-waiting down the road if for some
55 > reason the two orgs ever do go separate ways, or for some 3rd party to
56 > leverage against both organizations.
59 As I mentioned previously, feel free to engage them ;)
60
61 -A
65 > As far as legal counsel goes - I certainly agree that on such matters
66 > their advice should be sought. That's why I'm trying to caution
67 > against speculation on a public mailing list that the Gentoo
68 > Foundation's legal rights are limited in any way whatsoever.
69 >
70 > Rich