From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:23:48
1 On 2013.12.21 19:31, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Roy Bamford
3 > <neddyseagoon@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 > > The Gentoo e.V. registration covers the EU and regions where the EU
6 > has
7 > > agreements. The Foundation registration covers the USA and regions
8 > > where the USA has agreements. I expect there is a lot of overlap
9 > > there. Conversely there will be regions where neither logo
10 > registration
11 > > applies.
12 >
13 > Is that a formal declaration that the Gentoo Foundation does not
14 > believe it is entitled to trademark protection outside of the US?
15
16 That is not a statement on behalf of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. at all.
17 Its my personal opinion as a non US citizen, not normally subject to
18 the jurisdiction of the US courts.
19 Its also an acknowledgement that the US courts can be and are ignored,
20 even in Europe. e.g. enforcing software patents.
21
22 I believe our IP is well protected in the USA, is protected in places
23 the USA has treaties with but is not protected at all in regions where
24 the USA has little or no influence. e.g. Cuba. Cuba seems to be doing
25 quite nicely ... they even have their own Gentoo based distro.
28 > If it isn't intended to be such we should be clear, lest emails like
29 > this get used for just that purpose.
30 >
31 > As far as I'm aware international law regarding trademark does not
32 > require it to be registered in every country to be widely enforced.
33 Correct.
34
35 > US courts have demonstrated quite a bit of willingness to enforce US
36 > trademarks worldwide.
37 The US courts have always tried to overstep their jurisdiction. Most
38 courts do. Its erring on the side of caution. They didn't have much
39 luck with thepiratebay, for example.
42 > Honestly, I think the whole Gentoo e.V. situation really ought to be
43 > straightened out. Having two completely independent legal entities
44 > claiming to represent Gentoo really diminishes the ability of either
45 > to operate. I'm not sure why we really need two organizations in the
46 > first place...
47 >
48 > Rich
49
50 Well, the e.V predates the Foundation. I understand that the e.V.
51 registered the mark in Europe, with drobbins encouragement. I agree
52 its a mess and needs to be sorted out.
53
54 Rich,
57 Should we be objecting to http://www.gentoogroup.com ?
58 I think not as there is no danger of confusing a UK regional council
59 with a software distro.
62 Regards,
63
64 Roy Bamford