From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 19:31:19
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > The Gentoo e.V. registration covers the EU and regions where the EU has
3 > agreements. The Foundation registration covers the USA and regions
4 > where the USA has agreements. I expect there is a lot of overlap
5 > there. Conversely there will be regions where neither logo registration
6 > applies.
7
8 Is that a formal declaration that the Gentoo Foundation does not
9 believe it is entitled to trademark protection outside of the US?
10
11 If it isn't intended to be such we should be clear, lest emails like
12 this get used for just that purpose.
13
14 As far as I'm aware international law regarding trademark does not
15 require it to be registered in every country to be widely enforced.
16 US courts have demonstrated quite a bit of willingness to enforce US
17 trademarks worldwide.
18
19 Honestly, I think the whole Gentoo e.V. situation really ought to be
20 straightened out. Having two completely independent legal entities
21 claiming to represent Gentoo really diminishes the ability of either
22 to operate. I'm not sure why we really need two organizations in the
23 first place...
24
25 Rich