From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Trademark License (name/logo usage)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:35:43
1 On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > Honestly, I think the whole Gentoo e.V. situation really ought to be
3 > straightened out. Having two completely independent legal entities
4 > claiming to represent Gentoo really diminishes the ability of either
5 > to operate. I'm not sure why we really need two organizations in the
6 > first place...
7
8 I just wanted to apologize for the way I worded that, and how it came
9 across to some.
10
11 I do not in any way want to diminish the contributions of everybody in
12 the community that has been striving to make Gentoo better, whether as
13 part of one organization or another, or just through their individual
14 efforts.
15
16 Really what I'm trying to get at is the need to work together as part
17 of something bigger and more inclusive, and the last thing I want to
18 suggest was something smaller and more narrow. Whether that means
19 having one big organization, or a bunch of smaller organizations
20 working together, or something else entirely I cannot say. As Jorge
21 pointed out later in this thread there could be real benefits to not
22 being tied down to any one legal entity or country - indeed some FOSS
23 communities organize in a distributed (but coordinated) manner so that
24 they can get around some legal issues (though care is obviously needed
25 here). That was something I really wasn't thinking about when I first
26 posted this, and again just points to the benefits of a diversity of
27 viewpoints.
28
29 Actually, that is one of Gentoo's areas of distinction - we really are
30 a community-driven project that is largely in the post-founder era.
31 That does have some drawbacks, but what we have really does belong to
32 all of us - there are no agendas or first-among-equals here.
33
34 Finally, I'd like to thank Sven for trying to step forward to make
35 more partnership a reality - something much more valuable than words.
36 To whatever extent I might have made that more difficult I truly
37 apologize, though I do hope that at least the attention this has
38 brought to the topic leads to something of benefit.
39
40 Rich