From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Section 4.1 Member Classes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 15:48:16
At first I thought two classes of members was not necessary, nor did it
make sense. I still feel that way in the current sense of the two
classes as the bylaws read now. However further thought on how we can
open up our membership base, and also how we might bring additional
funds to Gentoo.

I am thinking we go with two classes of members, individual and business
class.

Where individuals are free to join the foundation. Completing some basic
application/form, and agreeing to things like the GSC, or etc. Some
basic common requirement for screening purposes, within reason. The same
process would apply for businesses as well. But depending on the size of
the organization. We would have a tiered fee structure which they are
required to pay before joining foundation.

Finally any business would appoint a representative. Which that person
would not qualify to be an individual foundation member. Since they
would essentially have access to two votes.

I believe this might be kinda controversial, maybe not. This really
doesn't do anything for businesses. 1 vote as a member on the foundation
doesn't really do anything. But at least gives them a voice. Plus helps
bring some $ to the foundation, and opens up membership base.

Just some thoughts, totally open for all input, and discussions on this
topic.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
amd64/Java/Trustees