From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-nfp] Re: Re: How to improve the trustees
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:43:56
Roy Bamford wrote:
> On 2008.02.13 01:44, Steve Long wrote: > > [snip] > >> ... I'd rather see the Foundation >> employing a professional administrator, hiring a lawyer and an >> accountant, >> with oversight by the Trustees. Either that or hand those >> responsibilities >> over to the SFC/SPI. I don't think the Foundation membership, which >> aiui is >> developers and ex-developers, has the skills base to do those tasks >> professionally, as they require. Nor do they seem to have been that >> motivated to carry out those tasks, unsurprisingly. >> > [snip] >> -- > Steve, > > Very true. Before we give away any control, or hire professionals, I > want to look at ways of expanding Foundation membership among the user > base. Gentoo users have a much wider skill set and interests than the > developers do. If the trustees can find a way to draw on these skills > and interests, there may be no need for professional administration at > all. >
I am fully with you on involving users; it was heartening to read that we already have 2 lawyers standing as well. I would still rather know that certain things, eg accounts and filings, were in the hands of someone who was contractually obliged to carry those out. Maybe Trustees have that legal obligation as well, but that doesn't seem to have been enough in the past. I guess what I'm getting at is: let's make certain there is no way slackening by volunteers could lead to a similar SNAFU. -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list