From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:03:14
1 On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 16:37 +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:11:53AM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > So basically, if I wanted to start working with some company to allow us
4 > > to redistribute their IP in an official manner, as explained above, then
5 > > I could do so, but the trustees would have to approve it, since it would
6 > > be the Foundation that is the legal entity which actually receives the
7 > > license, correct?
8 >
9 > See it as a license that the company writes for the Gentoo Foundation wrt
10 > the copying and redistribution of that particular IP. The trustees need to
11 > implicitly accept the license (the same way you need to accept the GPL
12 > license on GPL software before you use the software).
13 >
14 > > I have been working on some new GameCD stuff, as you all are probably
15 > > aware of by now. Well, I am getting to the point where I am ready to
16 > > distribute it. The first GameCD that I wish to produce is an Unreal
17 > > Tournament 2004 Demo GameCD. This was actually requested by Daniel
18 > > Vogel and Ryan Gordon, both of Epic. Of course, this was requested way
19 > > back in February of 2004, so I don't know if the offer still stands.
20 > > Basically, I was going to contact Epic and see if they would grant us a
21 > > license to redistribute the game in a modified (installed) form. I
22 > > would also want permission to use their logos for the game and
23 > > trademarks.
24 > >
25 > > Would anyone have any objections to me beginning to pursue this?
26 >
27 > Surely not :)
28
29 Consider the process started, then.