From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 14:28:52
1 On 10/24/15 10:17 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Anthony G. Basile
3 > <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I have no idea where you're going with this. If Gentoo is unwilling uphold
6 >> the SC then it should not have made that promise.
7 >
8 > I'm not advocating that we shouldn't uphold the SC. I just disagree
9 > with you about what the SC means.
10
11 It may not be up to either of us how that is interpreted is my point.
12 The Gentoo Council may be the last word within Gentoo, but not
13 externally. Hence we should get legal council here. A few hundred
14 dollars my shed important light here. You email a copy of the SC to the
15 lawyer, you pose the question and you ask for advice regarding the
16 enforceability of "depends" For all I know, he might say, this is so
17 vague that it carries no weight. Or he might say, there is strong case
18 law regarding the meaning of "depend" among organizations.
21 >> You don't just get out of
22 >> a contract because ${reasons}.
23 >
24 > Well, actually legally there are many reasons you can get out of a contract.
25
26 All of which are judge externally to the person forwarding those
27 reasons. Legal council is advise on what reasons fly in the courts.
30 > However, I'm not advocating that we break any contracts, so that isn't
31 > really an issue. If I were suggesting that we change the Social
32 > Contract perhaps this would be more of a concern.
33 >
34 >> There were many man-hours of labor put into
35 >> Gentoo under that agreement, and its not unreasonable that some will legally
36 >> demand that Gentoo stand by it.
37 >
38 > The labor was contributed under the terms of the GPLv2. That is
39 > really the only thing that resembles a legally-binding agreement.
40
41 Contract are not just limited to software.
44 > I can fork all of Gentoo tomorrow and use it for whatever I want to
45 > use it for, and the originally contributors would have no grounds to
46 > sue me for any of it as long as I distribute the sources with any
47 > binaries I distribute. How would they have more grounds against
48 > Gentoo itself?
49
50 I don't want to play a guessing game. Are you against getting legal
51 advise on this question?
54 >> This make us liable, especially as the leadership, liable.
55 >
56 > The fact that somebody will demand that Gentoo do something does not
57 > actually make anybody liable. I can demand anything I want. For a
58 > filing fee I can sue you tomorrow because I don't like what you said
59 > in your emails. That's just the US legal system. I won't prevail in
60 > a court, but I can still sue you. That doesn't make you liable.
61 >
62 >> It is not unreasonable to request legal council at this
63 >> point so that we are better informed.
64 >
65 > By all means do so. If there is some kind of legal precedent for any
66 > of this I'm all ears.
67 >
68 > However, if Gentoo developers choose to ignore the guidance of the
69 > Trustees and Council, I still don't see what you're going to be able
70 > to do about it. Gentoo has no control over how developers communicate
71 > outside of Gentoo infra. Freedom of association means that developers
72 > can interact however they wish. We're not subject to non-disclosure
73 > agreements, so nobody can dictate what communication mediums we use.
74 > You can get rid of the Gentoo organization on Github if you wish, but
75 > nothing prevents developers from starting their own organizations.
76 > Under the trademark policy they can even use "Gentoo" in the name as
77 > long as they adhere to the community use provisions.
78 >
79 > Gentoo is already a fairly loose association of relatively independent
80 > projects, so if a few just become Gentoo community projects that
81 > happen to be staffed by developers with commit access I doubt much is
82 > going to change.
83 >
84 > IMO, from a legal perspective it would be far more dangerous for the
85 > Foundation to publicly announce that they consider themselves liable
86 > for the use of Github (which can then be used against the Foundation
87 > in a court of law), and then fail to actually prevent the use of
88 > Github (since it isn't practical to do so). Organizations tend to
89 > avoid trying to police things that they can't police effectively,
90 > because it just means that they won't do it well, and it is often
91 > worse to do something poorly than to just claim that it isn't your
92 > responsibility to do it at all.
93 >
94 > I tend to cringe a bit when I see Trustees/Officers post on this list
95 > absolute statements like "the Foundation is liable for xyz" because if
96 > I were a lawyer suing the Foundation it would be the first thing I'd
97 > use against it. When you want to sue somebody you have to prove that
98 > you have a basis in law and fact for your claim. If the defendant has
99 > already publicly admitted that they're liable then they've already
100 > made your case on the law for you. But, I'm only an armchair lawyer,
101 > so take this with a grain of salt.
102 >
103 > That said...
104 >
105 > IMO we're really barking up the wrong tree with all of this. Rather
106 > than arguing all day about whether or not we should be using Github,
107 > we should probably address the even bigger elephant in the room, which
108 > is that we're understaffed on infra and thus unable to host our own
109 > FOSS alternative to Github. Granted, you can argue whether the
110 > alternatives are as good/etc, but if we had something like Gitlab
111 > available to us I suspect there would be a LOT less interest in using
112 > Github instead. Rather than fighting with those who just want to
113 > contribute code, maybe we should make it easier to actually utilize
114 > FOSS tools to do so.
119 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
120 Chair of Information Technology
121 D'Youville College