From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Tax return and accounting discrepancies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:34:09
On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:21 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 01:04 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote: >> all the rest is viewed as a chore simply required for legal reasons. >> we dont have people driving a "vision" or "goal" for Gentoo because it >> simply isnt fun. > > Thats very short sighted because lots of hardware vendors have toys that > would be fun to play with. However typically only RH and others get to > play with those toys due to having relationships with vendors that > Gentoo does not have.
*shrug* having new toys only goes so far
> That said Gentoo is all over GSoC, and Gentoo could be funding its own > development just the same. Or doing things like Debian with Debconf. > There is much more fun to be had, and way less drama with a proper > structure.
i'd certainly agree that having the capability to pull off a Gentoo conf would be cool
> Which is why I never wasted time drafting up such controversial > proposals, that no one would care about other than to flame. Its pretty > clear that no one has really cared since Daniel left and thats rather > sad.
yes, Daniel certainly was a visionary. it's unfortunate that the terms he put forth were so draconian. otherwise i'm certain he would have been welcomed to take over the prez. -mike