From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Spending money authority
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:05:38
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> When I was thinking again about Gentoo's structure. The relationship of > the Foundation and the Council. I thought of an odd scenario. The > council rules the project, period. No contesting that and I am not > looking to change that.
I contest that the Foundation not only rules, but is Gentoo. It owns the assets and funds of Gentoo and it is it's responsibility that they are used appropriately.
> That said, the Council decides to take some action within Gentoo. That > decision and action requires funding. Now who's hands does the power lie > in? At that point the Trustees, and if they choose not to fund the > request. Then what? Council is denied their supreme authority. Hardly > ideal, and I believe goes against the purpose of the council. >
And what happens if the Council actions funding that is against the interests of Gentoo. Is the Foundation to blindly accept there decision.
> Case in point. Last year for the Florida Linux Show, I had to ask and > get Trustees approval to fund a booth at the show for Gentoo[1]. To me > that seems like a decision that should fall to the Council not the > Foundation.
Isn't the Council only interested in Gentoo Development? Why burden it with non-development related funding requests?
> > The only time the Foundation should deny a funding request/order from > the council is if there is not adequate funds available. But it should > not be up to a second body what areas get funded and don't.
The only time the Foundation should deny a funding request/order form from the Council is when 1) There is not adequate funds 2) The request does not satisfy one of the Principles or Tasks of the Gentoo Foundation.
> > The Foundation isn't running the project, why should they be in control > of what money is spent on. Now access and final payment, I think should > still go through the Foundation. But more as acting on the Council's > ruling or decision. Unless it's a totally insane request, there might be > some veto power in the request/order. But really it should not be up to > the Foundation. It's not it's mission to decide those things. Just > oversee and enact.
I actually see very little difference between this and other threads on Gentoo's organisational structure. [1] One thing that I get the impression of, is that ppl think that just because one Group has the power it has to be the one to enforce it. The Foundation could quiet easily delegate some/all spending authority to the Council if it wishes. I would like the Foundation to have veto powers of nearly everything the Council does, but would expect the convention to be that the Foundation accepts decisions (automatically) by Council ( unless there is something really wrong with the decision ). I have also detailed ways to stop to much power from being held within the Foundations hands ( via Councils right to call Foundation elections and vice-versa ). Alistair [1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/msg_5e369c64711639bbcde1671313ea933a.xml -- gentoo-nfp@l.g.o mailing list