From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Question about other people's intellectual property
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:54:47
On Tuesday 12 April 2005 14:36, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > Good question. I have to admit that I have no idea what the answer > > might be. I would think that the Foundation could, and probably should, > > engage in legal contracts on the behalf of Gentoo devs. The tricky part > > is that I'm not sure what, if any, ability the Foundation has to ensure > > that Gentoo devs live up to their part of the bargain. > > That's pretty much what I'm afraid of... > > I know that I would like to pursue some possible arrangements with other > companies, especially as I am now getting quite close to producing some > fun GameCD images, and quite a few of the "free" games from standard > game production houses have restrictions on redistributing them in any > form other than their original.
In principle such an agreement with e.g. ID software would mean that the foundation gets rights to create/distribute a cd under specific terms. One of those terms could be that the foundation delegates this allowed to delegate the actual creation to one of it's members. There is a big issue of liability however. The only solution I see is that there is some kind of "vault" that has restricted upload so that only foundation trustees can upload files there that would then be "distributed". Under such a system the foundation might be persuaded to accept liability, and could be protected against actions from it's members/developers. This does indeed impose an extra limitation on the developers, but I think that developers should be able to overcome this as the alternative is not to do this at all. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net