From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Gentoo Social Contract and potential liabilities
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 18:00:18
1 On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Anthony G. Basile
2 <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3 > That's true, they're mostly risk adverse. But asking is good no matter what
4 > answer we get. These emails leave a track the we took due diligence.
5 > That's what's bothering me after the last committee meeting. We're all just
6 > bantering our opinions about and haven't sought any expert advice.
7
8 Honestly, in this field there aren't actually a lot of bona-fide
9 experts, because there isn't a lot of bona-fide litigation. How many
10 court decisions have there been around FOSS licenses and issues? Just
11 about everybody offers their opinions. :)
12
13 But, I certainly don't object to getting advice.
14
15 > The other avenue is FSF.
16
17 I'd be curious was to what advice they'd give, but we already fall far
18 short of their ideals. As I mentioned, gentoo.org would probably not
19 rate even a C on their source repository evaluation because we
20 recommend the use of evil licenses like GPL2+ instead of the more
21 appropriate GPL3+. And I'm all for switching to GPL3+, but they tend
22 to represent more of an extreme than Gentoo in general, and obviously
23 they have a bias, even if it is a bias I tend to be sympathetic to.
24
25 SPI and other organizations might be useful.
26
27 In any case, from what I can tell the Trustees are trying to sort out
28 the counsel situation in general anyway, as I believe Matt had been
29 dealing with most of that in the past. The Foundation does generally
30 try to seek legal advice when necessary, and I think it is mostly
31 pro-bono. There are actually a few organizations that would probably
32 offer us various kinds of legal services from advice to
33 administration.
36 Rich