From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] The road ahead?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:29:26
1 On Nov 1, 2005, at 10:07 AM, Nathan wrote:
2
3 > When portage fully supports
4 > prefixed installs, then:
5 > (1) A base system gets created by devs by whatever means (hopefully
6 > the only step with mandatory dependencies on Apple tools)
7
8 Well, we are starting off with no concept of package.provided, i.e.
9 we won't be lying to portage about too much like we have in the past,
10 so there will be no hard dependency on Xcode.
11
12 > (2) Regular users install the prefix-enabled base system into a prefix
13 > (and add $PREFIX/bin, $PREFIX/sbin, etc. to .bashrc)
14
15 I was thinking either they just open a shell and `source ${PREFIX}/
16 etc/profile` or they can set their default shell to ${PREFIX}/bin/
17 {bash,csh,zsh,whatever} which will already have a sane env with the
18 prefixed paths.
19
20 > (3) 'emerge mypackage' uses the gentoo system in $PREFIX to build
21 > 'mypackage' and install in into
22 > $PREFIX/regular/gentoo/path/for/the/package
23
24 Thats the idea ;) Keep in mind, binary packages are a must, so there
25 will be a default prefix that has to be used for both the stage
26 tarballs and the binpkgs. It will still be possible for a user to
27 bootstrap to a custom prefix, but I think that we shouldn't really
28 support anything other than the default.
29
30 > (4) USERS REJOICE!
31
32 Amen.
33
34 > (5) At this point, I'm sure someone will start a 'fink-commander'-like
35 > project for people who aren't comfortable with the command-line
36
37 Yeah, something written in python would seem logical....
38
39 --Kito
42 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list