From: Armando Di Cianno <armando@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:25:54
1 Hi, all. I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with
2 people on #gentoo-osx. I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage-
3 prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level. IMHO, fink has had it's
4 glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly
5 terrible at the same time.
6
7 I'm using gmane to respond to this, so please excuse breaking the
8 conversation formatting.
9
10 > So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around
11 > and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily
12 > pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting
13 > patches every now and then to include them on the main tree?
14
15 If you have a local svn trunk that looks like
16 trunk/Adir
17 trunk/Bdir
18 trunk/Cdir
19 then you can do something like the following:
20 cd trunk
21 svn propedit svn:externals A
22 (editor opens)
23 dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn://gentoo.org/svn/portage/
24 trunk
25 (save, close editor)
26 svn update
27 ls Adir
28 ./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir
29 ... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named
30 directory inside Adir.
31
32 What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless
33 you actually had authenticated access). But, gratuitous use of svn
34 diff could be used to submit patches.
35
36 Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
37 portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
38 "official" devs could update the diffs themselves.
39
40 __armando