From: Armando Di Cianno <armando@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:25:54
Hi, all.  I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with
people on #gentoo-osx.  I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage-
prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level.  IMHO, fink has had it's
glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly
terrible at the same time.

I'm using gmane to respond to this, so please excuse breaking the
conversation formatting.

 > So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around
 > and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily
 > pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting
 > patches every now and then to include them on the main tree?

If you have a local svn trunk that looks like
  trunk/Adir
  trunk/Bdir
  trunk/Cdir
then you can do something like the following:
  cd trunk
  svn propedit svn:externals A
  (editor opens)
  dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn://gentoo.org/svn/portage/
trunk
  (save, close editor)
  svn update
  ls Adir
  ./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir
... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named
directory inside Adir.

What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless
you actually had authenticated access).  But, gratuitous use of svn
diff could be used to submit patches.

Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
"official" devs could update the diffs themselves.

__armando