From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] Re: Prefix tree locaiton
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:18:57
1 On 17-08-2006 13:25:14 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
2
3 Armando!!!!!!!!!!
4
5 (you don't know me, but I DO feel aquintanced with you, hahahaha ...
6 GNUstep)
7
8 > Hi, all. I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with
9 > people on #gentoo-osx. I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage-
10 > prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level. IMHO, fink has had it's
11 > glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly
12 > terrible at the same time.
13
14 Aham...
15
16 > > So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around
17 > > and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily
18 > > pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting
19 > > patches every now and then to include them on the main tree?
20 >
21 > If you have a local svn trunk that looks like
22 > trunk/Adir
23 > trunk/Bdir
24 > trunk/Cdir
25 > then you can do something like the following:
26 > cd trunk
27 > svn propedit svn:externals A
28 > (editor opens)
29 > dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn://gentoo.org/svn/portage/
30 > trunk
31 > (save, close editor)
32 > svn update
33 > ls Adir
34 > ./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir
35 > ... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named
36 > directory inside Adir.
37
38 Heu... ehm. Ok, I guess this shows it can easily be done with svn, so
39 that's great!
40
41 > What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless
42 > you actually had authenticated access). But, gratuitous use of svn
43 > diff could be used to submit patches.
44
45 Of course. In CVS I can imagine that CVS just merges all updates all
46 the time. With git I know you can have your own local commits, so my
47 idea was basically like this. Not ideal for non-gentoo devs, but I
48 think that's the easiest way for now to get the work contributed and in
49 the main tree.
50
51 > Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
52 > portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
53 > "official" devs could update the diffs themselves.
54
55 In the spirit of the much criticised Sunrise, I wouldn't really "care"
56 if someone set up a central repo where non-devs commit their stuff in,
57 and that I periodically pull over all changes. I have the bandwith
58 available to host it myself (would make it even easier to do the sync I
59 suppose) but not the machine at the moment. (Need to do a lot of
60 painting etc. anyway too, so I can't set it up soon.)
61
62 I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if
63 you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is possible.
67 Fabian Groffen
68 Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
69 --
70 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list