From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:09:34
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:
2
3 > >On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:
6 > >What I'm saying is that you cannot build Mac OS X, Apple will not
7 > >permit that. If you wan't to install X Code, you have to script apple's
8 > >installer to do it. That is 2nd fiddle.
9 >
10 > Erm, no. It installs by extracting the files from the installation media
11 > similar to how other closed source software is installed via portage,
12 > doom, UTK2004, vmware, etc. Maybe we have different ideas of what
13 > 'second-fiddle' means. I interpret that as portage existing on a system
14 > with a specified set of fake deps in package.provided. IMHO portage is
15 > not second fiddle when it manages all files on the system.
16
17 Porage still has to answer to the macos installer, for two reasons:
18
19 - the macos installer will run around changing stuff without asking or
20 telling portage (unless you can build a system without that installer).
21
22 - most users don't want an OS X system without that installer (and
23 software update). I'm not saying portage can't do it all (down to
24 lipo-suctioning, creating Receipts files and all), I'm just saying that
25 portage doesn't need to. I'd also say that Gentoo devs have better
26 things to do than maintain tools to track a proprietary packaging
27 system.
28
29 IOW, I think it would be a mistake to try to upstage the soloist.
30
31 > > >Even once prefixed installs are available I intend to continue
32 > > >development in this area to facilitate extremely minimal OS X
33 > > >installs for specialized applications.
34 > >
35 > >I applaud this. But I think calling that profile "macos" is a misnomer.
36 >
37 > Where do you draw the line? If during a macos install I choose not to
38 > install all options available is it no longer macos proper? Macos to me
39 > implies CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua. Tons of other closed-source
40 > frameworks make up MacOS as well of course, but if you add
41 > CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua to a Darwin system, its macos IMHO.
42
43 I didn't realise that you were unpacking the .pkgs without using
44 /usr/sbin/installer. I can see why you would call such a profile macos.
45
46 However, if I wanted binary packages, I wouldn't choose Gentoo, and I
47 don't think it makes a lot of sense to have a profile called macos that
48 doesn't build macos from source. This is, of course, impossible.
49
50 > >That's why I suggested calling upstream darwin, "ppc-darwin". The fact
51 > >that it isn't called macos doesn't imply macos and macos packages
52 > >cannot be supported on it.
53 >
54 > The default-darwin profile is just that, though not currently a valid
55 > profile with its own keyword, but all macos profiles inherit from that.
56 >
57 > If you have a Darwin system with the closed source macos libs installed,
58 > its no longer Darwin as it tends to all come back to the difference
59 > between CoreFoundation(macos) and CF-Lite(Darwin/OpenDarwin). I think I
60 > see what you are saying, I just don't agree :p Anyway you look at it its
61 > all rather semantical, but needs to be addressed nonetheless.
62
63 Yep.
64
65 Following your semantics, could "progressive" (ppc-macos) be likened to
66 "2nd fiddle" (ppc-darwin), but without the prefix?
67
68 -f
69
70 > Of course, when apple finally gets fed up with the warez kiddies running
71 > OS X on greybox crap and stops doing source releases, this will all
72 > become irrelevant anyway :p
73 --
74 gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list