From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:23:50
On Aug 24, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Finn Thain wrote:

> > > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Kito wrote: > >>> I don't think it likely that apple will open source Mac OS X (or >>> eleven, or even system seven). I mean, is it likely that a macos >>> profile could ever be anything but second fiddle? >> >> The progressive profile already is, and getting moreso as it matures. >> fex it can/will be used to merge macos components from Apple >> installation media. So it is in fact handling the compilation of the >> 'bsd' portion of OS X from source as well as managing the proprietary >> libs and tools like CoreAudio, XCode, etc. This way, packages can do >> things like "DEPEND='>=dev-util/xcode2.1 >>> =media-sound/coreaudio'" and so on. So used in this manner, >>> portage is >> anything but a second class citizen as everything in / is in fact >> managed by portage. > > What I'm saying is that you cannot build Mac OS X, Apple will not > permit > that. If you wan't to install X Code, you have to script apple's > installer > to do it. That is 2nd fiddle.
Erm, no. It installs by extracting the files from the installation media similar to how other closed source software is installed via portage, doom, UTK2004, vmware, etc. Maybe we have different ideas of what 'second-fiddle' means. I interpret that as portage existing on a system with a specified set of fake deps in package.provided. IMHO portage is not second fiddle when it manages all files on the system.
> >> Even once prefixed installs are available I intend to continue >> development in this area to facilitate extremely minimal OS X >> installs >> for specialized applications. > > I applaud this. But I think calling that profile "macos" is a > misnomer.
Where do you draw the line? If during a macos install I choose not to install all options available is it no longer macos proper? Macos to me implies CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua. Tons of other closed- source frameworks make up MacOS as well of course, but if you add CoreFoundation, Quartz, and Aqua to a Darwin system, its macos IMHO.
> That's why I suggested calling upstream darwin, "ppc-darwin". The fact > that it isn't called macos doesn't imply macos and macos packages > cannot > be supported on it.
The default-darwin profile is just that, though not currently a valid profile with its own keyword, but all macos profiles inherit from that. If you have a Darwin system with the closed source macos libs installed, its no longer Darwin as it tends to all come back to the difference between CoreFoundation(macos) and CF-Lite(Darwin/ OpenDarwin). I think I see what you are saying, I just don't agree :p Anyway you look at it its all rather semantical, but needs to be addressed nonetheless. Of course, when apple finally gets fed up with the warez kiddies running OS X on greybox crap and stops doing source releases, this will all become irrelevant anyway :p