From: Finn Thain <fthain@××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] On keywording ppc-macos
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 04:14:00
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Kito wrote:

> > On Aug 23, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Grobian wrote: > > On a somewhat related note, we need to decide sooner than later on how > distinguish between the collision-protect and non-collision-protected > profiles in ebuilds, as some things that are getting in the tree break > with a proper gentoo environment, mostly auto{conf,make} issues at the > moment (-a -c -f stuff, etc) , as well as python issues creeping up as > well, but this will probably get more convoluted very shortly...
Convoluted? That would be my cue :-p I'll assume that the darwin profile has prefix /, with no special PATH, while the "portage for os x/second class citizen" profile gets prefix (say) /opt/gentoo, and PATH prepended with /opt/gentoo/bin:/opt/gentoo/... [1]. Now, if an ebuild needs to know that it has "2nd class" status, wouldn't a use flag be appropriate? And if you were to implement such a use flag, could it not be useful to other second-class citizens? For example, in "portage for non-Gentoo Linux" or "portage for solaris" profiles. -f [1] On reflection, I agree with grobian. I don't think it makes sense to try and support an appended PATH (though it may be useful for some as an unsupported option.)