From: Kito <kito@g.o>
To: gentoo-osx@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-osx] xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:39:06
On Oct 12, 2005, at 2:09 AM, Mike S wrote:

> > I am also inclined to wait for the next release for prefix support > which opens up a few new tricks that I am familiar with. Also Tony > asked me, and I would like to know if there is an experimental > portage out there that has prefix support in it, that we could > compile and play with, and if not when the next release is due.
Thanks to Brian Ferring, Michael Haubi, and a few others, last night I was able to properly bootstrap portage in a prefix for the first time...WOOT! No ebuilds that do anything useful, and many things are broken, but its a start. I hope to release a stage0 tarball for OS X devs very shortly, assuming I can keep Real Life and Work at bay for a bit :p Once we have a tarball to start from, there will either be a prefixed portage svn branch in the mainline module, or possibly in the alt repo, thats up to the portage devs as to how they want to handle that. Adding prefix support is anything but trivial, so the patch is rather large...it will be some work to stay inline with upstream for sure. You can find some things here in the meantime: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/portage/prefix/ But its not trivial to get it going, and no docs or anything yet.... Also Mike: you might also pop into #gentoo-alt, #gentoo-portage and peruse the gentoo-alt@ and gentoo-portage-dev@ ML archives, as the OS X team isn't the only ones with a vested interest in prefixes... Theres a couple people working on it for things like aix as well. --Kito -- gentoo-osx@g.o mailing list