From: Mike Spitzer <mwspitzer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-performance@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-performance] Advice for CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:10:46
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 11:26:54AM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
> In other words, there is no clear answer but my chances are quiet bad. > > I think I'll try around a bit. I'll prepare three images on my desktop, one > Os, one O2 and one O3. > > Then I'll post my experience...
Just from personal experience: I once compiled everything using O3 and couldn't tell any appreciable difference in speed on most applications. It also seemed to cause some applications to behave oddly or crash at weird times. Booting off of a boot cd and recompiling the whole system with O2 fixed all of the problems. That was with a PIII, though. I understand many apps now that have trouble with O3 are force to O2 with their ebuild, so your experience may end up being a lot different. It hasn't been worth it for me to try it again. -- Mike Spitzer mwspitzer@×××××.com