From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] LC_ALL and friends in make.conf
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 00:58:18
1 On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:14:26 +0100
2 "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is an old issue, but I want to suggest a re-visit :)
5 >
6 > As we all know, setting LC_ALL and friends can cause all sorts of
7 > trouble in package builds. However, many users really appreciate
8 > being able to set it so that errors from the compiler etc are in their
9 > own language.
10
11 Actually most people I've talked to prefer to have buildsystem messages
12 in english even if the rest of their system is localized. Reasons
13 include:
14 - many users don't understand the messages anyway, so to them language
15 is irrelevant
16 - often the translations are harder to understand than the english
17 version (IMO)
18 - when reporting a bug or asking questions on forums/irc/lists/...
19 they'll usually need the english messages anyway
20 - when searching for error messages in bugzilla/google/... the english
21 version will usually get more and/or better results
22
23 So going with Mike I'd invert your proposal and have portage (un)set
24 LC_MESSAGES to get english buildsystem messages, e.g. by adding
25
26 export LC_MESSAGES=${PORTAGE_LC_MESSAGES:-en_US}
27
28 to ebuild.sh.
29
30 Marius