From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] LC_ALL and friends in make.conf
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:13:25
1 This is an old issue, but I want to suggest a re-visit :)
2
3 As we all know, setting LC_ALL and friends can cause all sorts of
4 trouble in package builds. However, many users really appreciate
5 being able to set it so that errors from the compiler etc are in their
6 own language.
7
8 It occurs to me that during emerge, only LC_MESSAGES is actually useful
9 for the user, to help interpret build errors. LC_COLLATE and the
10 others don't give the user any benefit in the emerge process.
11
12 So how about if LANG or LC_* are set, portage would set LC_MESSAGES and
13 clear the rest?
14
15 Is there any real advantage to the user having LC_* set apart from
16 LC_MESSAGES?
19 Kevin F. Quinn