From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] LC_ALL and friends in make.conf
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:24:42
1 On Thursday 08 March 2007, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > As we all know, setting LC_ALL and friends can cause all sorts of
3 > trouble in package builds. However, many users really appreciate
4 > being able to set it so that errors from the compiler etc are in their
5 > own language.
6
7 we've fixed our documents so users should be setting LANG, not LC_ALL
8
9 > It occurs to me that during emerge, only LC_MESSAGES is actually useful
10 > for the user, to help interpret build errors. LC_COLLATE and the
11 > others don't give the user any benefit in the emerge process.
12 >
13 > So how about if LANG or LC_* are set, portage would set LC_MESSAGES and
14 > clear the rest?
15 >
16 > Is there any real advantage to the user having LC_* set apart from
17 > LC_MESSAGES?
18
19 to answer the question directly, i think you're correct in that only
20 LC_MESSAGES is a benefit to the user and screwing with the localization
21 variables as suggested seems pretty sane
22
23 hoooooooooooooooowever, ;)
24 while i see the direction you're looking to go and the burdens you're looking
25 to relieve, i think this just puts us back to the state that i disagree
26 with ... namely that we shouldnt be ignoring these sort of problems, we
27 should be fixing them
28 -mike