From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] LC_ALL and friends in make.conf
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:18:25
1 On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 14:23 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 08 March 2007, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
3 > > As we all know, setting LC_ALL and friends can cause all sorts of
4 > > trouble in package builds. However, many users really appreciate
5 > > being able to set it so that errors from the compiler etc are in their
6 > > own language.
7 >
8 > we've fixed our documents so users should be setting LANG, not LC_ALL
9 >
10 > > It occurs to me that during emerge, only LC_MESSAGES is actually useful
11 > > for the user, to help interpret build errors. LC_COLLATE and the
12 > > others don't give the user any benefit in the emerge process.
13 > >
14 > > So how about if LANG or LC_* are set, portage would set LC_MESSAGES and
15 > > clear the rest?
16 > >
17 > > Is there any real advantage to the user having LC_* set apart from
18 > > LC_MESSAGES?
19 >
20 > to answer the question directly, i think you're correct in that only
21 > LC_MESSAGES is a benefit to the user and screwing with the localization
22 > variables as suggested seems pretty sane
23 >
24 > hoooooooooooooooowever, ;)
25 > while i see the direction you're looking to go and the burdens you're looking
26 > to relieve, i think this just puts us back to the state that i disagree
27 > with ... namely that we shouldnt be ignoring these sort of problems, we
28 > should be fixing them
29
30 Seems a forced ignore would fix them. (problem solved! next bug..)
33 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
34 Gentoo Linux
37 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list