From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Guessing a package by short name
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:19:26
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Daniel Barkalow wrote:
3 >> I think emerge should be able to do better with guessing what I mean by
4 >> "sudo". How about, if:
5 >
6 >> 1) "ask" or "pretend" is on, and
7 >> 2) exactly one package with a given short name is in world or is installed
8 >
9 >> it will print a message explaining the ambiguity, but will proceed with
10 >> the package from world. (1 means that the user has a chance to confirm the
11 >> choice before anything actually happens; 2 means portage has some guess as
12 >> to which is desired.)
13 >
14 > I like the general idea. I'm not sure if the "ask" or "pretend"
15 > requirement is really necessary. Why not just make the assumption
16 > that the user expects smart category expansion in any case?
17 >
18 > Zac
21 My only concern is about consistency. IE the portage backend (if I
22 recall correctly) should return all matching nodes; emerge would then
23 take that list and find the first one that matches in the vdb. However
24 it becomes a bit difficult sometimes because emerge may do this vdb
25 preference but say, portageq, may not.
26 --
27 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list